Voices in the Dark

Listen closely. Can you hear them too? They are the voices in the dark. In the murky crevices of my mind. Like a transistor radio changing channels, they go in and out. It's hard to decipher if they are real or not. They warn me of harm. They whisper in my ear. They weigh heavy on my mind. I sit on the fence of sanity waiting for the day when I will be free. Free to sit in absolute silence where the only voice hear is God's.

The voices began haunting me as a young girl. I usually say 19, but it was much earlier. Falling sheets from ceiling, coming to smother me. I slept walked through the night. Like hands over my ears, they blew words into my thoughts that I can no longer remember. I believe they were settling voices of warmth and care. They believe in me, why can't I believe in them? Why has my heart not softened yet to their presence? Madrina say's they may be spirits. Spirits, fly my way! Spirits fly me to a place much more cohesive than this! Fly me away to a land of spanish words pouring from my lips and the lakes of Oshun. Spirits, fly my way if you've ever been here at all. Comfort my soul and tell me what you want. Take my mind into yours and cradle me. I am yours.

Wanting as I may for freedom, my spirit is in bondage. But I am free. If I could only see and accept my path to the spirits that dwell in the dark murky, crevices of my mind. Today I will speak to them. I will dance with the voices in the dark.

Comments

Popular Posts