La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La......

Currently I'm listening to mixed tapes friends have made for me over the years and it got me to thinking that you can really get an idea of how a person is feeling or even who that person is by the music they love and listen to. Music has always been an integral part of my life; ever since I was a very little girl. It gets me thinking, it moves me and expresses how I'm feeling in the moment. I love making mixed tapes for friends, it's a very intimate process for me to go through. I'm sharing a very special part of who I am. I love talking about music, sharing music, experiencing other peoples musical passions and of course just chilling out listening to it.

Recently, I met someone who loves music even more than I do, if that's at all possible. She is walking music; literally. She is song and notes and lyrics. The only other person I know who randomly belts out a song like I end up doing constantly. I hum in my head, out of my head, I sing songs that don't even exist except for in my psyche. She is the same but on a whole other level. I love having her in my life because of that and for so much more.

I grew up listening to the Duke Ellington Band, Bessie Smith, Thelonius Monk, Stevie Wonder and Ltd. My musical tastes have always been very eclectic and diverse. David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, Chrystal Gayle, Linda Ronstandt, Led Zepplin, Helen Reddy... And then the next day I'd be listening to The Smiths, De La Soul, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald and Parliament. Absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I just have a true love for music. A passion that cannot be denied. I need it to breath. I need it to exist in this world on a more meaningful level. I once met a guy who said he didn't like music! It took everything in me not to judge him as a freak of nature! On the inside I was screaming, "What?! You don't like music?! What is wrong with you man?!!!" On the outside my response was a little different. I calmly said, "Wow... That's interesting. What about music don't you like?" I can't even imagine...

I love the music of Africa, cuba, india, hawaii and greece. As a writer I use music to write. It inspires me and sets me in the applicable mood. It's nice to have someone in my life who gets it. In life we just want to be heard and understood by someone. I've decided to write about music today because I'm thinking about her. She's heavy on my mind and I feel blessed to have this creature, this angel be a part of my journey. Music is the added bonus in this "friendship" for lack of a better term. Music makes it all the more sweeter. Life is sweeter because of the music in my life, which is her. La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la........

Comments

Popular Posts