Untitled Tanka Poem

I.
Broken cement steps
The ancient remains of then
The forgotten tribe
Pieces crumble away
Washed away to cleanse my feet

II.
Anchor plant cascading bush
Birthing out of the trunk
Creating a comfort
Shade and protection from grey
The last leaf touching her feet

III.
Joyful, golden bees
Swarm the sun soaked verbenaceae --verbe (Nay)(Cee)
I see you dancing
Flying, life-giving insects are free
I am happy for your liberty

IV.
Red Aloe soothes me
My ancestors kissed them all
Africa, my love
Abuk soothes my soul
And heals all my sick scars

V.
Water, my healer
Thick, rich, soothing, comforting
Pours from the center
The black lava, Black beauty
Rising to the top, flooding my steps, lighting the way

VI.
The October wind
Tastes like hope for my old soul
It is bittersweet
The Autumn breeze and me
Crestfallen beginnings, past

VII.
The Knives of the Sotol
Reach past me to wound my foes
My demons fall
I lean in to offer thanks
Her sharp edges prick me and I bleed.




Comments

Popular Posts