Once Upon a Time There Was a Lesbian Bar on Sepulveda



Twenty-Six years and I still could not sleep through the night.
I was standing when I should have been floating;
I was still when I should have been writhing;
I laughed when all I wanted to do was cry.

So I walked and ran and walked and ran the two miles from Charlene’s;
Dry cold inhaled air burned my nostrils as I stumbled       “home.”

My strides felt heavy, I was weighed down by “pretend.”

Zig-zagging through the silence of 2 am;
I kept squinting up at the street lights that were wizzing and spinning
Bye. My blurry lens obstructed my view from the truth.
The cyclical thought, “How was I not somewhere
Else on this road?” bellowed in my mind.
I wept as I looked down on myself from above: “She always wanted to die.”

The morning light caused my eyes to flutter open from the curtain-less windows.
Surrendered, I took in the white popcorn ceiling staring down back at me.
My throat dry as cotton,
My tongue sour from last night’s vomit.

“I don’t feel free—and why am I wearing this strange orange sweater?”


Comments

Popular Posts