Dearest Demon Daddy


Daddy hero
My all and all
You were so tall
And I wondered at two, how you didn’t fall

“Daddy’s home!”

Thank you for teaching me how to ride a bike
(get your tongue out my little ear)
Thank you for teaching me how to drive a car
(why is your hand between my knobby knees)

Jumping the backyard fence at dusk in a brown desk
All the pretty sand dared to swallow my sorrowful aura
 Untroubled waves drowned in my dis-ease and jumping whales obscured
Beyond my weeping vision
Mama and Donna singing “His eye is on the sparrow” miles away at the two-faced church

Free at the beach and chained at my feet

Daddy’s home.

Smiling bright eyes without light
Standing in his house
Alone with him at night
Fraternal danger trying to extinguish this bright little light of mine

Sitting with his bible at the dinner table
Teaching the word of God
Love and truth and all of the beautiful above
While a demon swung from his tongue, like Tarzan’s vine
Mocking and laughing at me, at us, the whole time

Every week was Sunday school and terror
Wrestling mama till she cried
Chuckling like it was some joke
When second by second you were planning to smoke
And choke of us out of our lifeforce

My goofy
Joke-telling
Pilot-flying
Pentagon lying
General of gold
Beloved by every single soul
Raping and withholding
Suffocating and scolding
Dearest
Demon

Daddy.


Comments

Popular Posts