From One Awkward Black Girl to Another

I went to visit my sweet friend tonight who is under the weather and I told her about this special, phenomenal show and so we watched the pilot together. She liked it a'ight buuuuuut....didn't quite get it....at all. She, as a white woman, barely tried. She seemed uncomfortable with the show's blantant, proud, in-your-face Blackness.

As a Black woman...to see other Black women on screen; these characters that I connect with, going through experiences that I relate to is special...and important. These gifted actors playing these complex characters is special; especially when the reality is, is that Black people are rarely seen as complex or as individuals in this country--on screen, or not. On top of that, the writing is magnificent.

It's important that we see ourselves and all our complexities portrayed on our terms, produced by us. Insecure is one show that nails it. Thank you Issa Rae. Brava.

Comments

Popular Posts