The Controversy of Lil Nas X

I do not like the demonic tone, at all, but I get the narrative. I love that he is telling us about his life through his art. That is exactly what art is for, to tell stories, our stories. And I love that he loves himself today. I too, as a gay child, was told I would go to Hell. My mom kicked me out the house at 18 just because I would not "Stop being gay!"  Being queer and an incest survivor, as well as, what I went through internally and psychologically, was Hell. I hated myself for so long. I disrespected body and spirit,  almost dying so many times. I never thought I would live to be as old as I am. I only learned to love myself in the last five years. I hired a LifeCoach (shout out to the phenomenal Coach Kerri Smith Osei!) just to learn to love myself. I know what it is to not feel right, safe or loved; to not feel, whole. 

Because of those experiences, I am who I am: loving, patient, empathetic, compassionate, trustworthy, vulnerable, humble, brave. I am grateful for my life. And so grateful to love myself today. So, yeah, I do, proudly, support Lil Nas X. 










 

Comments

Popular Posts