I Feel A Rumbling (A Revolution is Brewing)

It was uncomfortable sitting in my Women in History class as the Professor talked about female slaves. I looked around the room and I watched the students jotting down notes and they seemed to listen with a void of compassion, or without any sense of the horrors she spoke on. The girl next to me asked, "Was the second type Mulatto?" "Yeah." The Professor barely gave the topic much time... Yesterday in Astronomy class the Professor made a remark about black people not burning in the sun because of our extra melanin. The girl two seats down asked, "Is it really true that black skinned people don't burn!" The 18 year old black girl sitting next to me squirmed in her seat. As soon as class ended she got out fast. I could tell she was embarrassed. I wanted to talk to her after class but she ran out of there so fast. Last semester a girl in my Cinema class said, "So white symbolizes good and black symbolizes bad, right?"
To be talked about as if you're not even present, and like you just don't matter is a beast of a predicament... As I watched the documentary on the Black Panthers, I realized that we're going backwards. I personally feel a rumbling. A Revolution is brewing. Another revolution. I'm joining The Black Lives Matter. I want to start a chapter at school. I'll be looking into that starting tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts