The Brightest Road

I found myself, after many years of arduous travel, kneeling on dry earth. The tiny stones in the dirt scratched my knees. My legs curled underneath my torso. Bent over. My arms laid out before me. Palms to the earth. Forehead touching the earth.
Something touched the skin on my left shoulder and I felt it in the center of my chest, inside my heart. Like warm fingers stroking me awake... My eyes blinked open, I was jolted to life. But I couldn't see anything; I was too close to the ground.
Slowly I began to rise. My arms bracing my bent body. I pushed myself up. And, as I arose, the brightness of the day made my eyes squint. I had been in the dark for so long it seemed. The light of the day was a brilliant contrast to my journey thus far. I was awake.
As my eyes began adjusting to the light, I noticed a road. And there was a fork in the road. Where had I landed? Which path shall I take? One lane looked very familiar; it was hazy and grey, murky. The other was lit and bright and quite, seemingly.....unfamiliar. Yet something about it reminded me of a place I had once known. It gave me a curious feeling.
I pushed myself up to a fully standing position. I stood there moments and more moments meditating on which direction I would take. I had to make a choice. My journey had suddenly changed.

I took one step. Then another. And another. Without recalling making my decision, I was proceeding toward the brightest road. A road I had yet to travel; though perhaps, maybe I had - long ago... But something about the light of it did indeed feel familiar and I was drawn to it, this road of light - I was so drawn to it. I felt as if it were pulling my very soul; and I let it. I didn't fight it or struggle against it. Four steps. Five steps. Six steps. Seven steps. Eight ste... By Erika L. Ganier

Comments

Popular Posts