Based on a True Story

The story Twelve is based on a true story, the true story of my life at the age of twelve. I changed my name to Annika and my sister's name to Dawn because..., well I'm not sure why actually. I think because my telling this story is a big deal for me and I think I was little afraid to use real names. A part of me is still afraid of my past. It still haunts me. But in spite of that fear, I shall continue to tell the story, for my own well being and for my own freedom.

My dream is to also have a series called Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen and so forth. My life has been quite a journey thus far and I feel that sharing my story, my truth, can be quite healing and maybe, possibly help others. And that is something that I've always hoped to do. I remember at a very young age always being concerned for others. Especially the underdogs. The little girl or boy sitting by themselves, all alone, looking forlorn, caught my eye when I was a little girl myself. I remember one little boy in particular, named Willie. We were in the same third grade class and he was teased a lot because of his mental challenges. One day I stood between he and his abusers, screaming, "Leave him alone! You're mean! Come on Willie." And I took his hand and stomped away! Ooh, I was so mad at those bullies!

Throughout my childhood, I never had much patience for bully's. Another time in the seventh grade, I stood up to this big samoan who was bullying this girl in the band, pushing her around. Once again I got involved; I just didn't know how not to get involved when it came to someone being bullied... Well to say the least, the bully's were not amused by my interruption and threatened me with, "In the field at 3 o'clock!" I'd never had a fight in my life up to that point and up to this point as well I might add! But a las, I was in the field at 3 o'clock on the dot and a crowd began to form around me. The samoan wasn't there yet but through the crowd, at the edge of the field I saw a group of about six walking in what seemed like slow motion in my direction. They were big and tall and I feared the worst. Yes, it was my samoan bully and five others. As they grew closer it almost looked as though they had horns growing out from the tops of their heads, but I couldn't be sure. I was scared off my rocker. Just as we were about to meet face to face I had an idea. There wasn't much time. My legs turned into jelly, my eye's rolled up into my head and I went down - fast! What can I say, I faked a faint. I didn't know what else to do in such desperate times! It worked though. Lying there motionless, eye's closed, I heard expletives and feet running away. Then it was quiet. I opened one eye and saw that the scene was clear. I got up and ran to the school bus as fast as my legs would carry me. I had successfully averted a black eye! Yay for me!

So that sort of gives you an idea of me as a kid. There was a lot of tragedy going on in my life but through it all God kept my heart, I guess, pure in a way... I still have the same kindness and passion for others today as I had when I was a little girl. Even though I lost my innocence as a small child, I feel that God has blessed me to experience the innocence lost, now, these last thirteen years of celibacy. Which makes for a very grateful heart in me today.

Comments

  1. Please post your comments. I'm interested in what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts