FUCK THE POLICE

WRITTEN IN RESPONSE TO A POST OF A BLACK FEMALE STATE ATTORNEY BEING PULLED OVER FOR NOTHING:


A month ago I was pulled over by a cop who acted as if I had harmed his child. He said I hadn’t stopped at the stop sign on the Cuhuenga off ramp. I know I stopped. I was wearing a huge natural (Afro) that day. I include this detail because I was stopped another time by a red faced, shaking demon in 2019. I’ll tell that story in a sec.

Anyway, like I said, he seemed pissed at me even though I’d never met him before. (That’s true, and I’m also being facetious) A calm washed over me as I watched him walk toward me through my rearview mirror. “Know why I stopped you?” (He seemed so pissed) I felt so utterly and strangely, relaxed. “I don’t have any idea. Why did you stop me?” You didn’t stop at the stop sign! I didn’t? Oh...I thought I had. I handed him my credentials. He left to run my info and write the ticket. Before he huffed off I said, so glad you made your quota, eh?! I’ll be fighting this.  (Big smile) I know I stopped. I take that exit often and it is impossible not to stop. You have to look to the left before you can turn right. You have to because there could be cars coming. 

Another time I I was stopped while wearing a natural: Every morning to campus at ucla I’d go through #belair . For a couple years I took this route along with hundreds of other drivers. Over a weekend the city put up a sign that said drivers could no longer take that left turn between 7am & 10am. So on Monday, as usual, I am in a long line of cars stopping at the stop sign before making that left. A lot of the cars were non-Black if not all white; and driving fancy cars. I know because I’m observant and that line was long. On my turn, I was stopped by a cop that flagged me down; I did not see a demon car anywhere, so I wasn’t even sure he really was a demon. I asked him why he didn’t pull anyone over before me, and why not give me a warning that the new sign had been put up? His red face just mumbled some reply. The point is, my perfect driving record is ruined, my insurance went up, and my currently financially struggling self had to pay a fee I could not afford. 

My other point: FUCK THE POLICE. I mean, demons. 

Comments

Popular Posts