We Are In This Together

Since my hysterectomy and the subsequent onset of menapause I have gained 20 lbs. It's not something I speak about because honestly, I'm ashamed. No matter how little I eat (I eat twice a day,  like I did pre-cancer, pre-hysterectomy, pre-menapause) or how much I exercise (I exercise a lot, the same as before) the weight won't come off. I feel like I'm stuck in a body that's not my own. This reality of body chemistry, hormonal, emotional, and physical changes are not topics that I hear being shared or discussed among woman that go through menapause due to a hysterectomy due to cancer or endometriosis.

I wish I had someone to talk to about this. My whole body has changed, from the prominent scar, to my growing body, to my emotional state, to my life as a whole. EVERYTHING has changed, and I'm hoping that hormonal therapy through medication--both herbal and pharmaceutical--make a difference in my weight gain, hot flashes, et al.

I've been dealing with this on my own and I'm hoping that this entry helps others feel not so alone in this. We are in this together. We are not alone.

Comments

  1. Dear Erika Lynn,
    Have you checked Meetup lately? I couldn't find anything under (pre-) menopause or hysterectomy, but there should be sub groups for women with your same experiences. I found some groups with the key words "body image". It breaks my heart to hear of you struggling alone. The very best to you in your search for mates who can relate :)
    Sincerely,
    Susana G.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts