The Brightest Road

I was found, after many years of arduous travel, kneeling on dry earth--the tiny stones of dirt scratching my knees; legs curled underneath torso, bent over; arms laid out before me.
Palms to the earth.
Forehead touching the dust and dirt.
Something suddenly touching my bare shoulder.
And I felt it in the center of my chest, in my heart.
Like warm fingers stroking me awake--my eyes blinked open.
But I couldn't see.
I was too close to the dirt.
I slowly began to rise.
My arms bracing my bent body.
I pushed upward.
Rising above.
The glow of the day was a brilliant contrast to my journey thus far--to the darkness of this path.
I was awake.
As my eyes began adjusting to the light, I noticed a road.
And there was a fork in this road.
Where had I found myself?
Which path shall I take?
One looked very familiar--it was hazy and murky and grey.
The other was lit up, bright, and quite seemingly unfamiliar, but something about it reminded me of a place I had once been to. It gave me a curious feeling.
I pushed up to a standing position.
I stood there for moments, meditating on which direction I would travel.
I had to make a choice.
My journey had suddenly changed.
I took a step.
Then another.
And another.
Without realizing it,  I was proceeding toward the brightest road.
A road I had yet to embark upon;
though perhaps, I felt--maybe--long ago I had.
Yet I could barely remember...
But something about the light of it felt familiar, and I was being drawn to it.
I felt as if it were pulling my soul.zz
I let it.
I didn't fight it.
Four steps.
Five steps.
Six steps.
Seven steps..........

Comments

Popular Posts