The Lovers

I don't want to get used to it..

I don't want to stop noticing the lovers gazing at one another as if they're the only two beings on earth.

And I don't want to stop looking at their eyes looking into each other's eyes as if they invented love itself.

I would rather the unrequited yearning and the praying and the dreaming and the wishing and the hoping for what I see they have - never cease - than get used to living without love.

I would rather be tortured in want than comfortably numb.
I will not get used to eating alone and living alone and playing alone and dreaming alone and loving alone.

I would rather watch the lovers from a grey and dim corner for the rest of my blessed days than ever get used to existing in a world, alone in love.

By Erika L. Ganier

Comments

Popular Posts